Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My Grandmother's Lemon Cake

I can't believe I'm about to do this!
This feels crazy to me, giving out the recipe for our family cake.
Sure, I've jotted it down on recipe cards for friends but this, this is going out there on a limb for me.  It's so good though, I really should share.

What is the best way to post a recipe?  Is it Pioneer Woman style, step by step pictures?  Is it a simple recipe typed up with a picture of me scarfing down a piece of the beloved cake?  Maybe it's something in the middle - I'll go with that.  (Are you enjoying my internal dialogue?  That is really what it sounds like in my head.  Ha!)

It was Hubby's birthday Monday, meaning it was time to make the favorite cake.  It's not from scratch but there are enough tweaks to make it better then boxed.

Better write up to follow at the end of the post.
This is my personal recipe card though, scribbled while talking with my 
grandmother on the phone many years ago.



Ingredients collected.



Four eggs, more then the normal box recipe.



That's a lot of oil, I didn't claim this would be health food!



 Prepping the baking dish the old fashioned way, butter then flour.



Secret ingredient added - Lemon Pudding mix.



Water and cake mix added, beat for four minutes.



Once baked poke holes, I didn't have a tooth pick so I used a BBQ skewer,
not the prettiest way but I was out of time to run to the store.



Glazed with the powder sugar/fresh lemon juice icing.  So good.
Again, not pretty to look at but trust me, you'll get past it.



Just one night later, yes those are crumbs everywhere, even on the mixer.
It's what happens when I leave the house for an evening meeting.


Grandma Elma's Lemon Cake

  • Yellow Cake Mix (preferably with pudding in the mix)
  • Lemon Flavored Pudding (this is where I vary from the original - Grandma uses a small Lemon Jello mix)

             I used 3/4 of a large pudding mix box.
  • 4 eggs
  • 3/4 cup oil
  • 3/4 cup water


Mix all for 30 seconds then beat for 4 minutes, prepare baking dish and bake at 350 until golden and your tooth pick (or skewer) comes out clean.  You can loosely follow the box directions for baking time.

Once done let rest for 5 minutes while you mix
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (don't skimp & use bottled, that would be just wrong)


Poke holes over entire cake and drizzle icing.

Enjoy!

Linking up with Farm Girl Paints!!



                                                                    

3 comments:

  1. This looked so good. I love lemon anything! Thanks for the sweet comment earlier. Next time you need to get one for yourself;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your family recipe, Tami.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What could be better then a grandma's lemon cake, sounds great.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete