Friday, May 25, 2012

Soup For Me

We woke this morning to rain.  Rain?!  At first I thought I was hearing things.  Figured in my tired brain that it was normal since I was in the North West - but wait I'm in sunny So Cal.  What a nice surprise!

We're having friends over for a very casual dinner tonight so why not soup?  I'm in!  In my cupboard I found a few cans of pumpkin puree, reasoned if we could have a cool rain in May I could eat pumpkin soup in the spring.  I pulled out a favorite and easy recipe from Rachel Ray's 30-Minute Veggie Meals (to buy go here) and just a few short moments later, soup for us all.  Link to recipe online found here.


Not sure if I can wait until our company shows!!


**Rachel's Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup

1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil (1 turn around the pan)
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) vegetable stock (or chicken if you're not a veggie)
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
1/2 cup heavy cream 
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 pinches cayenne pepper 
Course salt to taste

Heat a deep pot over medium heat.  Add oil and butter.  When butter melts add onions and sauté about 5 minutes until tender.  Add broth, tomatoes, black beans and pumpkin.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and stir in cream, curry powder, cumin, cayenne and a few pinches of salt.  Simmer 5 minutes, adjust seasonings and serve.  

** Please note the above recipe is from the cookbook, the recipe found online has a few small differences.  


Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Anytime you want to make that soup and have me over for lunch, I am ready! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pumpkin. Beans not so much. But I think I want to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one! For the friends I had over I should have dialed back the cayenne - it was a little spicey for their taste.

      Delete