Thursday, May 17, 2012

When My Plate Needs Something Green

Thanks to Ina, the Barefoot Contessa, I have a go-to, can't miss, side dish.  It's the perfect combination of easy seasoning with fresh veggies.  Some recipes, from my favorite stars on my favorite network with food, can be hard to duplicate.  This is not one of them.  The ingredients are easy and straight forward and could already be sitting in your home.  

I will include the recipe below but for the original and to read other reviews here is the link.  

Ratings for this recipe are hard to ignore...
 5 out of 5 stars.  It's a winner!


Fresh and easy ingredients.  (This was for a large Mother's Day crowd so I doubled the recipe.)



Ready to be tossed in olive oil & seasoned with salt & pepper.



Blanched & drained & ready for their ice water bath.



Roasted goodness.



Almost forgot to snap a photo of the finished product! 
 It was time to eat & I was ready so this is after my first helping.  


Ina's French String Beans

  • 1 pound string beans, both ends removed (she calls for French string beans, I use whatever I can get my hands on like in my photo above of green beans - close enough?)
  • 1 red onion, large diced (after roasting this is my favorite ingredient)
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, large diced
  • 1/2 yellow bell pepper, large diced
  • 2 TB good olive oil
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Blanch the string beans in a large pot of boiling salted water for 4 minutes. Drain immediately and immerse in a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. 
In a large bowl toss the onion and bell peppers together with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for about 15 minutes, toss occasionally for even roasting of the veggies.
Just before serving, reheat the string beans in a large sauté pan drizzled with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and arrange on a platter. Spoon the roasted vegetables over the string beans and serve hot or at room temperature.
Enjoy!!


Linking up with Farm Girl Paints for Feed My Family Friday!




2 comments:

  1. well that's a great way to get your veggies in. sounds yummy. thanks for linking up. have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could seriously eat the peppers and onion with a (very large) spoon. Feed My Family Friday has sparked my new recipe fancy. Looking forwad to next week! Thank you.

      Delete